[ncl-talk] vfXArray and vfYArray

Sheng-Hung Wang wang.446 at osu.edu
Fri Jun 16 08:52:05 MDT 2017

Hi there

This is Sheng-Hung from BPCRC at the OSU. We are trying to plot wind
(U10M, V10M and SPD10M) from WRF model output.  The data files are
extracted from wrfout files.

As you can see in native model grids (plot_raw.png or plot_raw.ncgm) plot,

The winds rotate in clockwise direction at Atlantic Ocean (upperright
corner), and counter clockwise at east of Greenland (just above map
center).

However, after using vfXArray and vfYArray and plot on map (plot.png or
plot.ncgm),

The winds rotate in opposite directions.

The winds over Pacific are still in an agreement (directions and
patterns) with model native grids.

I tried  NCL 6.4 6.3.x, running on Fedora, all produced same results.

Is there a problem with vfXArray/vfYArray functions or did I something
wrong in my script.

You can find my script/data/plots in

http://polarmet.osu.edu/datasets/proj_201706/

Thanks

Sheng-Hung

ps. I also tested sfXArray/sfYArray on each individual variables. The
plots are fine.

  Sheng-Hung Wang, PhD
  Polar Meteorology Group
  Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center