[ncl-talk] how to prepare data to plot some lightning strike density maps

Damjan Jelić damjan.jelic at fmf.uni-lj.si
Tue Jun 13 02:22:55 MDT 2017

Dear NCL support,

im trying to prepare data to plot some lightning strike density maps.
Problem is efficient way of sorting informations (lat-lon pairs). For
now im using matlab functions like "hist3" which is very fast in sorting
my data into bins of equal values so on the end i get 2d field with
values of strikes per bin. However I would like to do all of my work in
NCL and im hoping that NCL has something appropriate for the job. Im
attaching a test file containing coordinate pairs i would like to sort
with accuracy of ~0.01° and ~0.0002°. Can you help me in any way?

Sincerely,
Damjan