[ncl-talk] How to obtain low pass gaussian filter in ncl?

Zhang, Wei wei.zhang at rsmas.miami.edu
Fri Jun 9 11:49:12 MDT 2017

Hi all,

I have a monthly SST dataset, how can I obtain a 9-year low pass gaussian filtered SST in ncl. I think the Gaussian function *filwgts_normal* could work and my code is as below. Is it correct? If not, how can I deal with that?

 a = addfile(“sst.nc”,”r”)
 sst = a->sst  ;;  [time | 1920] x [lat | 90] x [lon | 180]
 sigma = 1.0
 nwt = 9*12 ;; 9 year
 Wgts = filwgts_normal(nwt, sigma, 0) ; gaussian weight.
 sst_filter = wgt_runave_Wrap(sst(lat|:,lon|:,time|:),Wgts,0)       ; 108 points running average

I greatly appreciate it if anyone could help. Thanks.

Wei Zhang
Ph.D student
University of Miami, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
Department of Atmospheric Sciences