[ncl-talk] questions about opening .dat type data

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Jun 7 22:45:05 MDT 2017

A .ctl file is a text file describing the contents of anothe file so GrADS
can read the file.
The file extension .dat , is commonly used but is not a standard extension.
We have binary and text files with .dat extensions.

The data file is generally a binary file.

---

That said, the question is not clear.

See: https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/grads.shtml

Good luck