[ncl-talk] Help : calculation of Total precipitable water, overestimated values

Dhirendra Kumar dhirendra.cub at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 01:37:53 MDT 2017

I am trying to calculate total precipitable water from 6 hourly data
containing specific humidity (kg/kg) at different pressure levels (hPa). I
am able to write the output successfully but I think the  values are
overestimated 10 times of the usual value.

I checked my code but could not figure out the mistake.

I will appreciate if people here can help me finding the error. The NCL
version for me is 6.4. The code written is following:

begin
f=addfile("ps_qas.nc","r")
sphum=f->qas
lat=f->lat
lon=f->lon
time=f->time
dp=f->plev*100                                                            ;
conversion into Pa
print(dp)
ps=f->ps(time|:,lat|:,lon|:)
re_sphum=sphum(time|:,lat|:,lon|:,plev|:)
pw = prcwater_dp (re_sphum, dp)
pw at long_name = "total column precipitable water"
pw at units     = "kg/m2"
printVarSummary(pw)
pw at coordinates = "lat lon"
copy_VarCoords(ps,pw)