[ncl-talk] Compute Shapefile Area with NCL

Alan Rhoades alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 09:44:41 MDT 2017

Hello,

I was curious if NCL currently supports a function that could compute a
shapefile's area?  I noticed that the function "print_shapefile_info" from
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/shapefile_utils.ncl can print
certain metadata (i.e., geometry types, # of features, min/max lat/lon,
etc.), but it doesn't seem to support the computation of the shapefile's
total area.

I currently use toolsets in QGIS to compute the shapefile area, but since I
use NCL primarily in my workflows I thought it might be a useful function
to create (if it hasn't already been).

Thanks in advance!

AR

--

*Alan Rhoades, Ph.D. | Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories
<https://eesa.lbl.gov/profiles/alan-rhoades/>*
*arhoades at lbl.gov <arhoades at lbl.gov> | alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com
<alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com>*
*Website <http://alanrhoades.weebly.com/> | Research Gate