[ncl-talk] dsgrid interpolation problem station data)

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 2 09:46:12 MDT 2017

Hi all,

The issue is that natgrid and dsgrid2 return the array as XO x YO, which
corresponds to LON x LAT.  This is very confusing!

If you transpose the array, then the coordinate array assignments should
work without reversing the axes:

zo_natgrid = transpose(natgrid(x, y, z, xo, yo))  ; Interpolate

zo_natgrid!0  = "yo"
zo_natgrid!1  = "xo"
zo_natgrid&yo =  yo
zo_natgrid&xo =  xo

and

zo_dsg2 = transpose(dsgrid2(x, y, z, xo, yo))

zo_dsg2!0  = "yo"
zo_dsg2!1  = "xo"
zo_dsg2&yo =  yo
zo_dsg2&xo =  xo

--Mary

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Dennis Shea <shea at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Ricks approach should work. However, for some unuknown rease (?bug?) the
> coordinates had to be reversed to attain the correct plot. A JIRA-2621
> (bug) ticket has been created.
>
> The attached uses x11 and creates the gridded data via several methods. Of
> course, these could be tuned for better results but I'll let that up to you.
>
> %> ncl noa_test.ncl_stavros
>
> Good luck
>
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Rick Brownrigg <brownrig at ucar.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stavros,
>>
>> I don't see where the array zo returned from dsgrid2() has any coordinate
>> information (?)
>>
>> I'm not expert at this, but if I correctly understand what's going on, I
>> think you need to do something like:
>>
>> ; make coordinate variables; i.e, varname == dimension name
>> xo!0 = "xo"
>> yo!0 = "yo"
>>
>> ; associate coord vars to data variable
>> zo!0 = "xo"
>> zo!1 = "yo"
>> zo&xo = xo
>> zo&yo = yo
>>
>> and then of course, to reorder for plotting you'd write  zo(yo|:, xo|:)
>>
>> I hope that helps.
>>
>> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 6:07 AM, Stavros Dafis <sdafis at cc.uoi.gr> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear NCL users,
>>>
>>> I am facing a problem when interpolating unstructured station data. I
>>> read an
>>> ascii file with lat/lon and rainfall data. The problem is that the
>>> interpolated
>>> values with dsgrid2 do not match with the real data, for example in the
>>> map
>>> attached 69mm of rainfall (North Greece) is printed on the map but the
>>> shaded
>>> rainfall is far away from the actual position of the station. Moreover,
>>> near
>>> Athens, we have some stations with up to 20mm of accumulated rainfall but
>>> interpolation gives 0-5mm.
>>>
>>> I have to mention that with temperature data, from the same ascii, using
>>> the
>>> same method with dsgrid2, the result is almost flawless (attached png
>>> with
>>> Attica).
>>>
>>> I have also tried ESMF method (attached), obj_anal_ic, triple2grid,
>>> natgrid but
>>> the problem is the same. Here is the part of the code doing calculations:
>>>

>>> x = stations(:,2)  ; Column 3 of file contains LONGITUDE values.
>>> y = stations(:,1)  ; Column 2 of file contains LATITUDE values.