[ncl-talk] Problem of using "get_isolines"

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 1 17:16:50 MDT 2017

The reason get_isolines returns longitudes that vary in the longitude cycle
(-180 - 180) or (0,360) or (0- -360) is so that it can avoid
discontinuities in the sequence of numbers, which is important for some
applications.
Instead of returning a sequence like (178, 179, 180, -179), it simply
continues the sequence (178, 179, 180, 181).  The NCL map plotting code
accepts as valid longitudes any number between -540 and +540, so returning
the values this way is not at all a problem for NCL plotting, although
admittedly there are situations where it is best to have the numbers
confined to a single longitude cycle.
If you do need to get to a single cycle you can do it using the where
function. Assuming you want to confine the values to the range -180 - 180,
then these two statements should do it for you, assuming that lon is
assigned the x value returned from get_isolines:

lon = where(lon .gt. 180, lon - 360, lon)
lon = where(lon .lt. -180, lon + 360, lon)

Hope this helps.
 -dave