[ncl-talk] weight option for taylor_stats

Yohei Takano yohei.takano at mpimet.mpg.de
Fri Jul 28 09:44:15 MDT 2017

Dear NCL users,

  I am trying to use "taylor_stats" function to calculate pattern
correlation, ratio, and bias.
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/taylor_stats.shtml

  The two ocean data (test array and reference array) are both
curve-linear grid and contains missing values for land. Reading the
descriptions in NCL document, I think I need to apply spatial weights to
the data so I prepared two-dimensional area data as a weight based on
curve-linear grid information.

  Then I tried

$ tay_stats = taylor_stats(test,reference,area,0)
: again test, reference, and area are two dimensional curve-linear grid
data)

  but I have an error:
$ fatal:The result of the conditional expression yields a missing value.
NCL can not determine branch, see ismissing function

  The function works when I try
$ tay_stats = taylor_stats(test,reference,1.0,0)
(for no weighting)

  so I am pretty sure it is about the weighting problem.
Are we not allowed to include missing values in "area" for taylor_stats
option? Since this is an ocean data, the area also contains missing
values for land so I was wondering how I can deal with this issue.

  I could not attach the sample data (since it was a bit too big for the
mailing list so I canceled it) but I could share it in some other way if
necessary.

  If you could give me any suggestions, point out what I am missing or
mistaking that will be great. Thank you for your help in advance.

Yohei Takano

--
Yohei Takano Ph.D
Max Planck Institute for Meteorology