[ncl-talk] how to plot this triangle grids

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jul 27 18:27:28 MDT 2017

Qi,

I agree, this is an interesting plot.

The key thing is that you need to do the following:

   - Use gsn_csm_blank_plot to set up the X and Y axes for whatever limits
   you need

   This will be based on the number of boxes you need to have in the matrix
   in both directions.

   You could set up the axes limits to go from 0 to nxbox-1 in the X
   direction, and 0 to nybox-1 in the Y direction, where "nxbox" will be, say,
   the number of models you have, and "nybox" is the number of variables.

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_
   csm_blank_plot.shtml

   - For each variable and each model, you need to get the four values for
   each triangle, and color each triangle based on the range it falls in.

   You can use get_color_rgba to pass a color map, a set of numeric levels,
   and a single value, and it will return an RGBA value that represents the
   correct color for that value.

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/get_color_rgba.shtml

   - You would then use either gsn_polygon or gsn_add_polygon to fill the
   triangle in that color.  I recommend using gsn_add_polygon, so you can
   actually attach it to the plot (in case the plot needs to be resized later
   in a panel or some other reason).

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_
   add_polygon.shtml

   - Finally, to attach the extra labelbars, you can use
   gsn_create_labelbar and gsn_add_annotation.

I realized all of this sounded a bit daunting, so I created a script using
dummy data, which I've attached.

The scrip creates an nvars x nmodels x nlat x nlon dummy array, and then
takes the min, max, average, and standard deviation for each nlat x nlon
section and used these values to fill in the four triangles in each
quadrant.

This script is somewhat slow in the add_triangles code, and I think this is
partly because of the loop that gets the color value for each data point.
I will see if I can speed this up.

--Mary