[ncl-talk] Some comments are needed in mjoclivar_14.ncl on the MJO diagnostics page [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Carl Schreck cjschrec at ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 26 09:03:15 MDT 2017

That's a great catch. The way I handle it is:

  ; calculate the PCs
  retVal = eofunc_ts_Wrap( data(var|:,lon|:,time|:), eof, False )

  do e = 0, nEof-1
    retVal(e,:) = ( retVal(e,:) + retVal at ts_mean(e) ) / pcStddev(e)
  end do

Where pcStddev is the standard deviation calculated from the original PCs
over a 30+ year period.

It would be great if eofunc_ts had an option to not subtract the mean
automatically.

Carl

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:34 AM, Eun-Pa Lim <eun-pa.lim at bom.gov.au> wrote:

> ​Dear NCL developers
>

> My colleagues Harry Hendon and Abhik  Santra at the Bureau of Meteorology
> want to report an issue regarding the computation of the RMM1 and RMM2 time
> series (eof_ts_cdata) and the expansion coefficients of olr, u200 and u850
> (ceof_ts) in mjoclivar_14.ncl.
>
> ​> eof_ts_cdata = eofunc_ts(cdata,eof_cdata,False)
>
> Harry and Abhik were trying to replace cdata with forecast data of
> a particular year to see if forecast amplitudes of RMM1 and RMM2 are
> realistic or not.
>
> Because eofunc_ts_Wrap removes the time mean of the input data by default
> (i.e. 1-year time mean of forecast data for their case), their forecast MJO
> amplitudes were systematically biased.
>

> This problem will occur when people try to compute the MJO amplitues with
> a subset of a dataset.
>

> Could you please add a comment where eof_ts_cdata and ceof_ts appear in
> mjoclivar_14.ncl that users should compute the expansion coefficients
> manually rather than using eofunc_ts_Wrap if the removal of the time mean
> of the input data is not intended/desirable?
>

> Please let me know if what I've explained is not clear.
>

> Many thanks!
>

> Eun-Pa
>

> Research Scientist
>
> The Australian Bureau of Meteorology
>
> GPO Box 1289, Melbourne, VIC 3000, AUS

<https://ncics.org/>
* Cyclone <http://www.cyclonecenter.org/>*Center.org
<http://www.cyclonecenter.org/>   *Carl J. Schreck III, PhD*
*Research Scholar / Research **Assistant Professor*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC (CICS
<http://www.cicsnc.org/>*-NC) <http://www.cicsnc.org/> /*
Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences (MEAS)
<https://meas.sciences.ncsu.edu/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
<http://ncei.noaa.gov/>
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: carl_schreck at ncsu.edu
o: +1 828 257 3140