[ncl-talk] A Fatal Error Question: is this a bug in NCL?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 19 08:43:09 MDT 2017

Hi Barry,

Good work on the script!

If you don't get long_name and units subtitles on your plot, it's likely
because your variable doesn't have any metadata attached to it.

You should do a printVarSummary of the variable, which I assume is
"rh_ave". This will tell you if you have any metadata.

If the metadata is not there, then you need to look at the variables being
used to do the calculation.  I do see that you have:

   rh_ave = rh

so you would need to check if "rh" has metadata, because if it does, it
should have been copied to "rh_ave".

Calculations cause metadata to *not* be copied to the variable on the left
of the "=", but they won't remove any metadata that already exists.

I can't answer your question about the times, because I don't know what
your gefs_time.file
​ ASCII file looks like, but I don't see any harm in what you're doing if
it works.  Maybe Bill can weigh in about how to calculate forecast time off
a WRF file.
​
​However, I think you can turn all the code that is used to calculate the
new time array into a function, and move the function call to outside the
do loop.

--Mary