[ncl-talk] "Noise" when plotting station data

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 12 13:14:39 MDT 2017

It is a "feature" of the triangular mesh contouring method (in effect
whenever you use non-gridded data) that it fills the convex hull
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convex_hull) of your data. The boundary
of California is concave in the region depicted, but the contouring
algorithm has no way to know where this boundary is, and thus the
appearance of drawing outside the lines.
The only way to avoid this is to mask around the borders of
California. There are examples of how to do this on the web site. See
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mask.shtml, particularly
mask_8.ncl or mask_11.ncl.
 -dave