[ncl-talk] saving high resolution plots for publications

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 12:05:33 MDT 2017

Dear Guido:

I appreciate that you're trying to explain this to us.

I made a pdf and png of the same multi-paneled image.  When I blew-up the
former, it became blurry.

When I blew up the latter, it maintained a very clear picture.

This was important because when I imported the figures to my Powerpoint,
the pdf became unreadable when I increased
its size.

Also, I am using the Mac Book "Grab" software to cut out sections of the
multi-panelled figures.  I have the same problem
when I cut out the panel from the PDF and enlarge it in powerpoint.

Is it possible that you are technically correct, but not practically?

Or, maybe there is another way to import/cut out the pdf panels...?

Barry

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Guido Cioni <guidocioni at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m going to stop you right there. :)
>
> If you’re goal is to produce figures for publications then vector formats
> like PDF or EPS are preferable (and supported by NCL). They will scale
> perfectly regardless of a single-column/double-column layout and won’t
> pixelate. In fact, images that contain lines/points/shapes and combination
> of the latter ones should *always* be reproduced in vector format.
>
> You can use a raster format (PNG, JPEG) only if the image/data you’re
> publishing is already on raster format (e.g. photos taken with cameras,
> satellite pictures…).
>
> Note that sometimes a PNG with a decent resolution for publication will be
> larger than a PDF with the same image. Please (!!) don’t use PNG for
> publications as long as they are not strictly necessary :) :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Il giorno 07 lug 2017, alle ore 10:51, Sri Nandini <snandini at marum.de> ha
> scritto:
>
> Hello
>
> Using NCL, i tried the 2 methods for saving my figures as png for
> publications.
> 1)The default method   wks =  gsn_open_wks("png", "my figure")
>
> And trying to save as 600dpi/optimal resolution
> 2)  wks_type = "png"
>    wks_type at wkWidth   =  2500
>    wks_type at wkHeight  =  2500
> wks =  gsn_open_wks("png", "my figure")
>
> Surprisingly the method 1) yields better sharper resolution figure then
> method 2).
> Could someone explain why?
>
> Method 3) convert -density 300 (or 600) inputfile.png outfile.png yielded
> no difference when performed on output of method 1).

Barry H. Lynn, Ph.D
Senior Lecturer,
The Institute of the Earth Science,
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem,