[ncl-talk] saving high resolution plots for publications

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 05:12:42 MDT 2017

Answering to both of you. PNG will always have lower resolution since there is no such thing as resolution in PDF. The beauty of vector format consists exactly in this feature: an image is decomposed in different shapes which are drawn every time that the image is shown, depending on the zoom level.

I’m attaching the screenshot of the two images that you provided (PNG and PDF) zoomed-in on my screen (of course it is impossible to put them side to side as they are different formats). In this case also the pdf will look pixelated if you zoom more since I’m attaching a png…the important thing is the difference between the two at the same zoom level!

Your PDF images *may* appear of different “resolution” just because they use less space on the page. You can easily fix this by using the resources gsnMaximize and gsnPaperOrientation or just cut the PDF file with applications such Inkscape. This will produce the best result.

Cheers