[ncl-talk] gsnXYBarChartColors2 and custom colormap

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 13 09:47:16 MST 2017

Hi Jared,
In the upcoming v6.4.0 release you will be able to specify RGB
triplets in gsnXYBarChartColors2.
See the bottom of the page here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/future_release.shtml#Improvements6.4.0

If you are working on yellowstone you can use this capability now. Email me
for directions if wanted.
Adam

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 2:26 PM, Jared Lee <jaredlee at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi, I have a script that generates some histograms, and also calculates
> the difference between those histograms and plots the difference as a bar
> chart. I have a custom colormap of RGB triplets (dimensions 256 x 3) that I
> use for the histogram (via gen_define_colormap), and if possible, I'd like
> to use the same color scheme for the bar chart of the histogram differences.
>
> When I try to set the resource gsnXYBarChartColors2 to this RGB triplet
> colormap, however, I get the following error:
>
> (0) gsn_csm_xy: Fatal: The resource for specifying bar colors must either
> be 1D, or 2D where the first dimension is equal to the number of Y
> reference lines or curves.
> (0) Will not fill your bar chart.
>
> Is there a way around this? If not, I can settle for just coloring
> above/below the reference line red/blue (via gsnAboveYRefLineColor and
> gsnBelowYRefLineColor), even though it's not my preferred option.
>
> Jared
>
> --
> Jared A. Lee, Ph.D.
> Project Scientist I
> Research Applications Laboratory
> Boulder, Colorado, USA
>
> Email: jaredlee at ucar.edu (w)
> Phone: 303.497.8485 <(303)%20497-8485> (w)
> Web: https://staff.ucar.edu/users/jaredlee

Adam Phillips