[ncl-talk] Reading in .ieeer8 file and plotting it with NCL

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 9 15:33:22 MST 2017

There are 'variables that contain coordinates' and 'coordinate variables'.

Coordinate Variables (CVs) are one-dimensional and contain montonicall
{in/de}creasing numerical values. Think 'rectilinear grid'. The
'copy_VarCoords' applies only to this strict subset of coordinates.

===
Looking at the SFWF variable:

       float SFWF(time, nlat, nlon) ;
                SFWF:long_name = "Virtual Salt Flux in FW Flux formulation"
;
                SFWF:units = "kg/m^2/s" ;
                SFWF:coordinates = "TLONG TLAT time" ; <*****************
                SFWF:grid_loc = "2110" ;
                SFWF:cell_methods = "time: mean" ;
                SFWF:_FillValue = 9.96921e+36f ;
                SFWF:missing_value = 9.96921e+36f ;

===

REPLACE:

; Copy variable attributes to the binary data
;************************************************************

 printVarSummary(flx)

 copyVarMeta(sfwf,flx)

WITH

tlat  = f->TLAT
ltlon = f->TLON

then, in your graphics code

res at lat2d = lat2d
res at lon2d = lon2d

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/
Under "Models" ... Click CESM: POP

There are numerous examples of plotting this type of data.

HTH