[ncl-talk] plot error: warning:ContourPlotInitialize: X coordinates out of data range: defaulting

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 9 14:02:32 MST 2017

Hi Ying,
I'm just checking as some lines are not commented: Did you comment out
these lines:
  res at trXMaxF     = 61
  res at trYMinF      = 0.0 ; Limits for Y axis. percentage from 0 to 100.
  res at trYMaxF     = 1.0

If you didn't I would suggest commenting them out and trying again.

With regards to why you are getting two frames: By default gsn_csm_contour
will draw the plot to the workstation and advance to the next frame.
(Advancing to the next frame can be thought of as flipping to the next page
of your workstation.) You have the following right after your
gsn_csm_contour call:
frame(wks)
That line tells NCL to advance the frame. Thus, you have 2 frame calls and
two output pages.

Hope that helps. If not please respond to the ncl-talk email list.
Adam

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Ying Song <ysong4 at slu.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got this error when running my NCL script:
> -------------------------------
> warning:ContourPlotInitialize: X coordinates out of data range: defaulting
> warning:ContourPlotInitialize: Zero X coordinate span:
> defaulting:[errno=1104]
> ----------------------------
>
> I asked the question in a previous email and NCL people suggest me to
> comment out any trX/YMin/MaxF resources first then see what the X and Y
> axis looks like. I modified my script following the suggestion, but the
> error message is still the same. Also, the plot includes two pages but I
> only plot one. Don't understand why this happened.
>
> I think I'd better write a new email with appropriate title so others who
> have same problem can find it easily. I attached my ncl script, fortran
> script I used with WRAPIT, and the .out file from yellowstone job output.
>
> Thank you very much for the help!
>
> --
> Ying Song, PhD, Post Doctoral Fellow
> Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> Saint Louis University
>
> ysong4 at slu.edu

Adam Phillips