[ncl-talk] different orientations depending on output png or eps, wrf_overlays

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 5 10:03:12 MST 2017

I was unable to run your script because of an error:

fatal:Subscript out of range, error in subscript #0

fatal:An error occurred reading zcordinate

fatal:["Execute.c":8575]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 256 in
file
wrf_CrossSection_WSPplusVecter_positive90tilt_smooth_for2ndMax_combine_another.ncl

I made a small modification to get it to run.

For starters, you cannot use "gsn" resources in a "setvalues" call. "gsn"
resources are only meant to be passed to various gsn_xxxx or wrf_xxx
routines (in some cases).

Part of the issue is that you are trying to use wrf_xxxx routines for
plotting some highly customized plots. The wrf_xxxx routines are really
meant to be used as "black box" type of scripts without a lot of plot
customizations.  I always tell users that if they want to do major
customizations, to use the gsn_csm_xxx scripts.

However, having said all that, the real issue is that whenever you set
gsnMaximize to True, this is going to cause your plots to be maximized in
whatever output device you are sending it to, including having the plot
rotated if it fits better in a landscape orientation.

Many of the wrf_xxxx plotting routines set gsnMaximize to True under the
hood, so in order to turn this off, you have to set gsnMaximize to FAlse.
 wrf_overlays is one of those routines that sets gsnMaximize to True, so I
suggest setting this resource before you call wrf_overlays:

  pltres at gsnMaximize = False

Remove *all* other settings of gsnMaximize set in your code, and any
references to gsnPaperOrientation, wkOrientation, and gsnOrientation (which
is not a valid resource, byt the way). Since "portrait" is the default
mode, you don't need to set any orientation resources.

--Mary