[ncl-talk] Data Extraction

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 23 12:10:35 MST 2017

Your question is very general ... no specifics. Hence, it is hard to
respond.

[1]
It is *your responsibility* to learn the language. When ncl-talk people see
"can you guide me" , we have found that 'we' (ncl-talk) does most, if not
all the work. Hence, people afre reluctant to respond. We want to help but
we have our own jobs to do.

[2]
Please see the excellent tutorials  created by *Karin Meier-Fleischer*
and *Michael
Böttinger* of DKRZ <https://www.dkrz.de/> (Deutsches Klimarechenzentrum).
     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/
In particular, it would be beneficial for you to do some of the exercises.

[3]
An example of "data extraction"

   [a] Examine the file's contents

        %>  ncl_filedump   TES-Aura_L2-O3-Nadir_Megacity_ v006_Litev08.nc
| less
      or
         %>  ncdump -h   TES-Aura_L2-O3-Nadir_Megacity_ v006_Litev08.nc  |
less

[snip]
       float averagecloudeffopticaldepth(grid_targets) ;
                averagecloudeffopticaldepth:long_name = "average cloud
effective optical depth" ;
                averagecloudeffopticaldepth:units = "" ;
                averagecloudeffopticaldepth:_fillvalue = -999.f ;
                averagecloudeffopticaldepth:missing_value = -999.f ;
[snip]
        int cityindex(grid_targets) ;
                cityindex:long_name = "city index:  [Los Angeles, Houston,
New York City, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Pa
ris, Istanbul, Lagos, Beijing, SW China, Shenzhen, Tokyo, Bangkok, Dhaka,
Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Karachi]" ;
                cityindex:units = "" ;
                cityindex:_fillvalue = "" ;
                cityindex:missing_value = "" ;
[snip]

   [b]  Say, you want Lagos: NCL indexing starts at 0 ... hence index 8

   [b] Select a variable and in a script ...

       diri = "./"     ; directory with data file(s)
       fili   = "TES-Aura_L2-O3-Nadir_Megacity_ v006_Litev08.nc"
       pthi = diri+fili

       f = addfile(pthi, "r")
       aceod = f->averagecloudeffopticaldepth    ; all 'grid_targets'
       printVarSummary(aceod)
       printMinMax(aceod)

or

      i = 8
      aceod_Lagos = f->averagecloudeffopticaldepth(i)
      printVarSummary(aceod_Lagos)
      printMinMax(aceod__lagos

Good luck