[ncl-talk] Data Extraction

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Sat Feb 18 08:57:07 MST 2017

The file you sent has a .rc extension. This is not a recognized file
extension. I changed it to a .nc extension

%> mv TES-Aura_L2-O3-Nadir_Megacity_v006_Litev08.rc
TES-Aura_L2-O3-Nadir_Megacity_v006_Litev08.nc

Then, I used

%> ncdump -h TES-Aura_L2-O3-Nadir_Megacity_v006_Litev08.nc >&!
out_630.TES_Nadir

The output (out_630.TES_Nadir) is attached.

====================================
NCL 6.3.0

%> ncl_filedump TES-Aura_L2-O3-Nadir_Megacity_v006_Litev08.nc | less

NCL reads the file just fine. However, by netCDF rule, the _FillValue
associated with a variable should match the type of the variable with which
it is associated.

      variable (float); _FillValue (float)
      variable (byte); _FillValue (byte)
      ...etc...

This file sometimes has a mismatch so ncl_filedump (unlike ncdump -h) will
issue a warning message like

warning:NetOpenFile: MissingToFillValue option set True, but missing_value
attribute and data variable (city) types differ: not adding virtual
_FillValue attribute

Actually, this is valuable information. You should be aware of this. The
TES file is technically not a good netCDF file.

===
In an NCL script, you can turn off the warning messages via:

*setfileoption*("nc","*MissingToFillValue*", False)

f = addfile("TES-Aura_L2-O3-Nadir_Megacity_v006_Litev08.nc", "r")

   https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/setfileoption.shtmn
<https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/setfileoption.shtml>