[ncl-talk] About wrf_user_intrp3d to get cross section of wind vector.

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 14 10:13:52 MST 2017

Hi Tao,

When you do a vertical cross section, you are defining a line along the
surface and the algorithm interpolates to a vertical plane along that
line.  The line on the surface can be defined by using a start point and an
end point, or a pivot point and an angle.  So, if you are using the pivot
point and angle, to define a S-N cross section through the entire domain,
you want to set the pivot point to the center of the domain and the angle
to be 0.0.  To define a W-E cross section through the entire domain, you
would set the pivot point to the center of the domain and the angle to be
90.0.

1) If you don't provide the same cross-section line to all three wind
components, you won't be using the same cross-section, which is going to be
nonsensical.

2) I think you may be misunderstanding what this function is doing.  This
algorithm doesn't find the wind components aligned with the orientation of
the cross section, it simply goes point by point along the line at the
surface, and for a fixed number of vertical points determines the value at
these points by doing a linear interpolation in the vertical.  The u_plane
component is still the west_east component, the v_plane component is still
the south_north component, and the w_plane component is still the
bottom_top component.

Hope this helps,

Bill