[ncl-talk] Derivatives in NCL

Black, Forrest (LARC-D318)[UNIVERSITIES SPACE RESEARCH ASSOCIATION] forrest.black at nasa.gov
Mon Feb 6 09:04:22 MST 2017

Hello all,

I am trying to solve the following equation in NCL:

Z = (h*Re)/(Re-h)'

Z: Geometric Height
h: Geopotential height (3D Array)
Re: Radius of Earth, assumed constant (6356766m)

I have looked at some old threads, but am still unsure of what functions I would use to calculate (Re-h)'.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to tackle this?

This is the Attribute data for Geopotential Height:

Variable: Geopotential Height
Type: float
Total Size: 2525324 bytes
            631331 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes:   [lv_ISBL0 | 37] x [ygrid_0 | 113] x [xgrid_0 | 151]
Coordinates:
            lv_ISBL0: [10000..100000]
Number Of Attributes: 13
  center :      US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)
  production_status :   Operational products
  long_name :   Geopotential height
  units :       gpm
  _FillValue :  1e+20
  coordinates : gridlat_0 gridlon_0
  grid_type :   Lambert Conformal can be secant or tangent, conical or bipolar
  parameter_discipline_and_category :   Meteorological products, Mass
  parameter_template_discipline_category_number :       ( 0, 0, 3, 5 )
  level_type :  Isobaric surface (Pa)
  forecast_time :       0
  forecast_time_units : hours
  initial_time :        01/31/2017 (00:00)

Thanks for any help.

-        Forrest