[ncl-talk] Are recent versions of contributed.ncl backward-compatible?

Daniel Barandiaran - NOAA Affiliate daniel.barandiaran at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 2 14:34:43 MST 2017

Indeed. More strangeness: When I use ncl_filedump the variable is listed as
TMP_126_HTGL_123, not..._S123. If I am running 6.1.2 then the script will
read ..._123 but not _S123. When I source my .bashrc to use 6.3.0, then the
script will read ..._S123 but not ..._123. Furthermore, even if I alias
ncl_filedump to the 6.3.0/bin/ncl_filedump, it still executes using 6.1.2,
which results in some errors, and still lists the variable as ..._123:

 Copyright (C) 1995-2013 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.1.2
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
fatal:syntax error: line 631 in file
/cpc/home/dbarandiaran/ncl-6.3.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/utilities.ncl before
or near ; Draw box.

    gsn_polygon_ndc(wks,xbox+xpos(i),ybox+ypos(i),gnres) ; Draw box.
^

fatal:syntax error: possibly an undefined procedure

fatal:syntax error: line 634 in file
/cpc/home/dbarandiaran/ncl-6.3.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/utilities.ncl before
or near \n
    gsn_polyline_ndc(wks,xbox+xpos(i),ybox+ypos(i),lnres)
----------------------------------------------------------^

fatal:syntax error: possibly an undefined procedure

fatal:syntax error: line 638 in file
/cpc/home/dbarandiaran/ncl-6.3.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/utilities.ncl before
or near \n

gsn_text_ndc(wks,label_strings(i),font_space+xpos(i),ypos(i)+font_space,txres)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^

fatal:syntax error: possibly an undefined procedure

fatal:Syntax Error in block, block not executed

fatal:error at line 645 in file
/cpc/home/dbarandiaran/ncl-6.3.0/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/utilities.ncl

Variable: f
Type: file
filename:    ghcn_cams_1948_cur_t126
path:    /cpc/home/ebecker/ghcn_cams/ghcn_cams_1948_cur_t126.grb
   file global attributes:
   dimensions:
      initial_time0_hours = 828
      lat_126 = 190
      lon_126 = 384
   variables:
      float TMP_126_HTGL_123 ( initial_time0_hours, lat_126, lon_126 )