[ncl-talk] problem with background on moving domain

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 2 13:15:20 MST 2017

Yu,

To answer your question about the labels on the two Y axes:  this is due to
the nature of your map. It may be slightly rotated, and hence the latitude
values on the left side of the plot are not going to be the same latitude
values on the right side of the plot.

I've attached two modified scripts for you to try.  I converted your code
to use gsn_csm_contour_map. These scripts no longer use the native WRF map
projection, but instead use the XLAT/XLONG read off the file to create the
plot. This does make the script go a little slower, but this also allows
you to get that moving domain.

I wasn't sure if you literally want a moving lat/lon domain for each plot,
or whether you wanted a fixed lat/lon domain for all plots, so hence the
two scripts.

The first one, wrf_dbz_mp_gsn_mods.ncl uses a moving domain, and the
wrf_dbz_mp_gsn_mods_fixed_map.ncl uses a fixed domain.

I created a series of PNGs from all timesteps across all files, and
converted the PNGs to both an animated GIF and an MPG file using
ImageMagick's convert utility:

  convert -delay 10 *.png refl_panel.mpg
  convert -delay 10 *.png refl_panel.
​gif​

I attached the two images from the last timestep on the last file.  The
animated GIF and MPG files are too large to attach here, but let me know if
you want me to send one of them to you in an email offline.  They are about
3-6 MB each.

The labelbar labels may be too large. You can adjust them with the
lbLabelFontHeightF resource that's in the code.

--Mary