[ncl-talk] wrf_user_intrp3d always interpolates to 100 levels

Bill Ladwig ladwig at ucar.edu
Fri Dec 15 10:30:37 MST 2017

The current cross section implementation in NCL does not allow the user to
select the levels to interpolate to.  The 'z' argument is not the levels
that you want, it's the height coordinate value for each grid point (either
pressure or geopotential height).  In a future release, we will be creating
a new vertical cross section function that has the same capabilities as
wrf-python (which does have the capability you want).  For now, if you want
to modify your WRFUserARW.ncl to specify the levels that you want, you need
to modify this (around line 371):

;  interp to constant z grid
>      if(var2dz(0,0) .gt. var2dz(1,0) ) then  ; monotonically decreasing
> coordinate
>         z_max = floor(max(z)/10)*10     ; bottom value
>         z_min = ceil(min(z)/10)*10      ; top value
>         dz = 10
>         nlevels = tointeger( (z_max-z_min)/dz)
>         z_var2d = new( (/nlevels/), typeof(z))
>         z_var2d(0) = z_max
>         dz = -dz
>      else
>         z_max = max(z)
>         z_min = 0.
>         dz = 0.01 * z_max
>         nlevels = tointeger( z_max/dz )
>         z_var2d = new( (/nlevels/), typeof(z))
>         z_var2d(0) = z_min
>      end if
>
>      do i=1, nlevels-1
>         z_var2d(i) = z_var2d(0)+i*dz
>      end do

Set z_var2d to be the levels that you want and comment out the rest.  If
you don't want to modify the original WRFUserARW.ncl code, then copy
wrf_user_intrp3d to a new file (and either change the function name or
remember to call undef("wrf_user_intrp3d") before the function definition)
and use a load statement at the top of your script.

Hope this helps,

Bill