[ncl-talk] segmentation default when reading variables

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 11 09:00:35 MST 2017

This is a netCDF-4 file:

%>  *ncdump -k* EDIII_BIC_1990.nc

*netCDF-4*
NCL's netCDF-4 capabilities have evolved  substantially over last few years.

NCL 6.3.0 was released in March 2015 (2.5+ years ago). It seg faults ... on
my box also.

The following NCL versions handle the "w" mode correctly:

NCL 6.4.0 released  February 28, 2017

NCL 6.5.0*-beta* not yet released

*Solution:* Download the current release 6.4.0 or, perhaps, the 6.5.0 beta
realse

=====================
My 6.3.0 version of NCL handles this correctly when using  "r"

%>  ncl
 Copyright (C) 1995-2015 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version *6.3.0*
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

ncl 0> wrfout = addfile("EDIII_BIC_1990.nc",*"**r"*)
ncl 1> lat2d = (/wrfout->lat/)
ncl 2> print(lat2d)

Variable: lat2d
Type: float
Total Size: 55216 bytes
            13804 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes:   [116] x [119]
Coordinates:
(0,0)   18.24825
(0,1)   18.41432
(0,2)   18.57843
[SNIP]

==================
When using the *"w"* mode 6.3.0 seg faults::

ncl 1> wrfout = addfile("EDIII_BIC_1990.nc",*"**w"*)
ncl 2> lat2d = (/wrfout->lat/)
Segmentation fault

====================
%> ncl

 Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version *6.4.0*
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

ncl 0> wrfout = addfile("EDIII_BIC_1990.nc","w")
ncl 1> lat2d = (/wrfout->lat/)
ncl 2> print(lat2d)
[SNIP]

=========
%> ncl
 Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version *6.5.0 -11Dec2017_0148*