[ncl-talk] reading s2s ecmwf forecast grib file

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 31 15:37:51 MDT 2017

Hi Ousmane,
The second error message is pretty minor. It simply indicates that the
table used to give a value to the "production_status" attribute is not
quite up-to-date. If it were up-to-date. you would see

 production_status : S2S Operational Products

instead of

production_status : 6

(6 is the code for "S2S Operational Products" in the table 1.6.table)

The first error is more serious, but I am unable to duplicate it with
any version of NCL that I have.  One possible reason for this is that
the file you uploaded may be truncated. It only contains one complete
GRIB record, but it also contains the beginning of a second record.
The file as we received it is 24020 bytes:
ls -l 1Sep2009.grib
-rw-r--r-- 1 dbrown ncar 24020 Aug 31 15:15 1Sep2009.grib

If your file is bigger than that, then the file was not successfully
uploaded to the ftp site. Can you check the size of your file and if
necessary upload it again? If it is the same size, then your file is
incomplete and maybe you can retrieve it again from wherever it came
from.

I can tell you that this file uses a GRIB2 Product Definition Template
number (see http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/grib2/grib2_table4-0.shtml),
61, that NCL does not yet fully support. That means that the error you
are seeing would not be surprising assuming the file is complete. We
will be updating our code to handle this template as soon as possible.

Thanks for your report and hopefully you can send a complete file to us.
 -dave