[ncl-talk] understanding function gc_pnt2gc

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 11 13:51:12 MDT 2017

I've been looking into this too, and I've come to the tentative conclusion
that this function is doing the correct thing.

Joe, I think you're right that gc_pnt2gc uses the entire great circle
around the globe, and not just the shortest section between the points. If
you imagine slicing the globe at the great circle between the two lat,lon
pairs that you gave, then the distance will be the length of the line drawn
from your base point and perpendicular to the slice you just made.