[ncl-talk] Remove white-spaces from write_table output

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 10 11:15:35 MDT 2017

Hi Rabah,

I see Karin already responded, and had the same response I was just about
to send!

I'll go ahead and include my response here. I've updated the documentation
to indicate this behavior, and also created a ticket just in case.

Unfortunately, I think this is a "feature" of write_table. Even if there's
a case for declaring this a bug, we probably couldn't change the behavior
because we'd likely break a bunch of existing scripts that depend on the
space being there.

I created a ticket on this (NCL-2646), in case it's an issue for other
users.

Meanwhile, as Karin pointed out, I think the only way around this is to
concatenate the strings yourself:

int1 = 2
int2 = "99999"
int3 = "99999"
int4 = "99999"
int5 = "99999"
int6 = "99999"
int7 = "99999"
int_cat = int2+int3+int4+int5+int6+int7
sounding_check = [/int1,int_cat/]
write_table(outfile,"w",sounding_check,"%2i%s")

In general, I would caution against writing numbers to a file without any
spaces, because this makes it potentially very difficult for somebody else
looking at the file to know how to read it.  However, I do understand that
some of these files have historically been written this way for other
purposes

--Mary