[ncl-talk] Creating heatmap (Month/day vs. Year) in NCL

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Aug 9 16:16:09 MDT 2017

re:
"Has anyone tried to plot a heatmap using NCL or is this possible to do in
NCL?"

Your use if the term 'heatmap' is misleading. Anomalies (W/m2) are being
plotted. However, the values could be anything .. not necessarily 'heat'.

Given that the y-axis is 'YEAR' and the x-axis is 'day', a more appropriate
classification would be a 'time-time' (year-day) plot.

---
re: "Is this possible to do in NCL?"

Yes, of course NCL can do it. Likely any tool could be used.
Actually, the plot looks like an NCAR Graphics plot.
---
re: "the sample data"

The sample data file contains *monthly* precipitation. This* can not *be
used to create the *daily* plot you attached. You *must *use daily data.
---
re: attached plot

This looks like colored anomalies were plotted and, the then another
variable was overlaid.

[1] read daily data
[2] create daily climatology
[3] calculate daily anomalies
[4] for each year; extract the days spanning 15 May through 15 July
[5] populate the array with the values for [4]
[6] add appropriate meat data
[7] plot a contour map; no overlays were performed.

NCL has the climatology functions and date functions necessary to create a
'time-time plot. However, most of the work is book-keeping.

===
The area you are using is so 'small' that simple averaging is adequate.

===
I had an existing code that uses daily OLR values to compute daily
climatologies and anomalies.  I added many comments and print statement.
Please look carefully.

Many comments point to the documentation for the functions being used.
Again, please read.

The figures show how to change the x-axis (day/month-day) labels

Good luck