[ncl-talk] inconsistent results of taylor_stats

Ekin Akoglu ekin at ims.metu.edu.tr
Thu Aug 3 02:30:43 MDT 2017

Dear Beata,

I haven't gone through your results in detail but what I understood from
your description of the problem, in my humble opinion, the results of
taylor_stats may not be wrong. The correlation values just show that
your model simulation results increase and decrease in agreement with /
parallel to your data, i.e. simulation results increase/decrease when
there is an increase/decrease in the data. However, correlation is not a
measure of goodness of fit, a.k.a model skill. Bias shows how much your
model over/underestimates the data. Hence, you may have a high
correlation with a low bias as well as a high correlation with a high bias.

Best regards,

Ekin

On 03/08/17 11:18, Beáta Szabó-Takács wrote:

> Dear NCL users,
>
> I have doubts with taylor_stats functions. I created taylor diagrams
> from five RCMs in eigth sub area and also created tables about
> absolute bias of temperature and precipitation. I attached the
> diagrams in pdfs and the resulted bias values in .png. According to
> the taylor diagrams the temperature has large correlation (0.9 or
> larger) whilst the precipitation has smaller correclation. But the
> bias is larger in the case of temperature than in the case of
> precipitation. I do not understand why I got inconsistent results. I
> attached the sript of taylor diagram (taylor_ENS.ncl) and the sripts
> of bias tables (prtaylor2.ncl and temptaylor2.ncl) and the
> taylor_stats.ncl. Can someone inform me what I did wrong?
>
> Thank you very much for your response in advance!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Beáta

Ekin Akoglu, PhD

Assistant Professor