[ncl-talk] (no subject)

steve kirby thinjogger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 14:45:17 MDT 2017

 Hi,

My goal is to use:

skewT_PlotData()

but I only have a surface pressure and potential temperature, and then

potential temperature and wind dir and wind spd at many height levels.

 I am wondering if there is any way via NCL to derive temperature and/or

pressure with height given this information.  It seems
with either the hypsometric or Poisson's equation I am lacking at least one
parameter.

Hypsometric: P = Psfc * e**(-z/H)

   Have z and Psfc, and if one uses the approximation for scale height, H =

29.3 *  Tvirtual, then Tvirtual = (1 + 0.61w) * T; I have w, however I

don't have T.

Poisson's: Theta = T * (Psfc/P)**0.286

   Have Theta (potential T) and Psfc, but no T or P.

But perhaps there is a way?

TIA,

Steve