[ncl-talk] Lambert Conformal coordinate issue

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu Sep 22 11:40:35 MDT 2016

Hi Forrest,

I think the issue was that the variables to be plotted did not have
coordinates associated with them.  I added the highlighted lines to your
script:

  u     = f->UGRD_P0_L7_GLC0

  v     = f->VGRD_P0_L7_GLC0

  refc  = f->REFC_P0_L200_GLC0

  lat2d = f->gridlat_0

  lon2d = f->gridlon_0

  rot   = f->gridrot_0                   ; (lat,lon)

  refc at lat2d = lat2d

  refc at lon2d = lon2d

  u at lat2d = lat2d

  u at lon2d = lon2d

  v at lat2d = lat2d

  v at lon2d = lon2d

This is all described at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/overlays_on_map.shtml

I'll send you two plots offline.  The one with the _fullextent suffix is
what I initially got. The coordinates do indeed range across the entire
CONUS, but there are many missing values in the "refc" variable.  I
eyeballed these coordinates to get the "_zoomed" plot:

  cnres at mpLeftCornerLatF  = 35.; lat2d at corners(0)

  cnres at mpLeftCornerLonF  = -85. ;lon2d at corners(0)

  cnres at mpRightCornerLatF = 47.; lat2d at corners(2)

  cnres at mpRightCornerLonF = -62. ;lon2d at corners(2)

There are still a few issues that hopefully you can resolve:

i) the center of projection is not appropriate for the zoomed in plot;
 more likely it should be the center latitude of the zoomed in area

ii) the vectors should probably be scaled

iii) I don't know why the "reference vector" does not appear on the zoomed
plot???

I hope that helps...
Rick