[ncl-talk] Difficulty with RAP coordinate arrays in NCL

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 16 16:00:32 MDT 2016

The only 'rap...grb2' file I have has:

      float gridrot_0 ( ygrid_0, xgrid_0 )
         long_name :    vector rotation angle
         GridType :     Lambert Conformal (secant, tangent, conical or
bipolar)
         units :        radians
         formula_u :    Uearth = sin(rot)*Vgrid + cos(rot)*Ugrid
         formula_v :    Vearth = cos(rot)*Vgrid - sin(rot)*Ugrid
         note1 :        u and v components of vector quantities are
resolved relative to grid
         note2 :        apply formulas to derive u and v components
relative to earth

      float gridlat_0 ( ygrid_0, xgrid_0 )
         corners :      ( 16.281, 17.34023, 55.48131, 54.17241 )
         long_name :    latitude
         grid_type :    Lambert Conformal (secant, tangent, conical or
bipolar)
         units :        degrees_north
         Latin2 :       25
         Latin1 :       25
         Dy :   13.545
         Dx :   13.545
         Lov :  265
         Lo1 :  233.862
         La1 :  16.281

      float gridlon_0 ( ygrid_0, xgrid_0 )
[SNIP]

Your coordimates are contained in 2-dimenional variables.
Could you pls ftp the file to

ftp ftp.cgd.ucar.edu
anonymous
ypur_email
cd incoming
put rap_130_20160115_0000_000.grb2
quit

===

Attached is a simple script I have lying around. It does not use shape
files. Try running it with your data.

Note:

  lat2d    = f->gridlat_0   ; these are 2D
  lon2d   = f->gridlon_0

Later,

  res at vfXArray               = lon2d
  res at vfYArray               = lat2d

Also, depending on you usage, you may want to rotate the winds.

===
FYI: I always helps to indicate which version of NCL you are using.

%> ncl -V

===
Also, printVarSummary( ...)    of selected variables.

Good luck