[ncl-talk] plotting geopotential height

Lijun Diao ljdiao at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 21:57:46 MDT 2016

Hi, everyone:

I am trying to plot 500 hpa geopotential height. I used wrf_user_getvar to get gh and wrf_user_intrp3d to interpolate to 500 hpa. Please verify I am doing right.

gh             = wrf_user_getvar(b,"geopotential",-1)
gh             = gh / 9.8 / 10.
; interpolation
gh_plane       = wrf_user_intrp3d(gh, p, "h", 500, 0., False)

For the contour lines, I noticed there are a bunch of small circles over the Rocky Mountain as shown in the attached f1.png. What I want is a smoother plot as in the black lines in f2.png. Those small gh line circles actually coincide with the topograph as shown in f3.png. Please let me how I can plot a smooth gh as in f2.

thanks,
Lijun Diao
ldiao at uh.edu
Research Assistant
Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
University of Houston
4800 Calhoun RD., Bldg. S&R1-312
Houston, TX 77204-5007