[ncl-talk] Availability of the speidx() function before 6.4 release?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 2 11:26:38 MDT 2016

Hi Bill,

You can find some a link to the C code here, which is the same C code that
the NCL one was wrapped on top of:

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/SPEI/index.html

We unfortunately had to make the decision to pull the speidx code from NCL,
because the C code was deprecated by the original author(s). There's a
known issue in the code that occasionally causes Nans (not-a-number) to
show up because of a divide-by-0 in some cases. They've fixed the problem,
but only through a pure R interface they've created.

We will keep a "hidden" version of the function in NCL, when 6.4.0 is
released, but we won't advertise or support it.  It will mainly be there in
the case that it might work for some people.

I've emailed the author of the code to see if we can get an updated C
version, but I haven't heard anything back.

--Mary