[ncl-talk] About projection in NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 31 09:59:10 MDT 2016

Dear Tao,

It's a bit difficult to debug a long script like this without the data.

There are several potential issues with your script.

[1] You are setting some lambert conformal resources, but then plotting
over a cylindrical equidistant map.  I think you need to add this:

mpres at mpProjection = "LambertConformal"

[2] You are setting these five resources:

  mpres at mpLimitMode                     = "LatLon"
  mpres at mpMinLatF                       = 33.5
  mpres at mpMaxLatF                       = 38.5
  mpres at mpMinLonF                       = 137
  mpres at mpMaxLonF                       = 142

but generally, when you use a Lambert Conformal projection, you want to
define the two corners of the area, and not the min/max lat/lon values.
Please see this page for some examples:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/lcnative.shtml

[3] You are setting:

  res at tfDoNDCOverlay                    = True

and also:

  pre_res at sfXArray                      = lon      ; Associates lat/lon
locations
  pre_res at sfYArray                      = lat      ; with data values.

which is contradictory. The first one tells NCL you want to plot the data
in its native projection, which assumes that you have done all the work of
setting the correct map resources (like you did with mpLambert
Parallel1/2F, mpMeridianF, etc). However, if you are even slightly off in
defining the native map projection, then your data will not be correctly
plotted. You only want to set sfXArray/sfYArray if you are NOT plotting
data in a native projection.

My guess is that you don't have the native map projection set up correctly,
and hence the data is skewed slightly.

To debug this problem, I suggest using your lat/lon arrays to plot the data
over a simple cylindrical equidistant map instead of plotting in a native
map projection.

I modified your script and attached it here.  Since I can't run it, there
may be some errors, but hopefully you understand what it's doing.

If this plot looks correct, then what this tells you that NCL is reading
and plotting your data correctly, and that likely in your original script
you didn't have the native map projection resources set correctly.  These
are the resources I would then take a closer look at to make sure they are
correct:

  ; zoom in map

  mpres at mpLambertParallel1F             = 30.0         ; two parallels

  mpres at mpLambertParallel2F             = 60.0

  mpres at mpLambertMeridianF              = 136.0        ; central meridian

  mpres at mpLimitMode                     = "LatLon"

  mpres at mpMinLatF                       = 33.5

  mpres at mpMaxLatF                       = 38.5

  mpres at mpMinLonF                       = 137

  mpres at mpMaxLonF                       = 142
--Mary