[ncl-talk] How to correctely draw GPM wthe NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 31 09:02:23 MDT 2016

Yi Lu,

We have a examples page for precipitation, which includes an example for
GPM data.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/HiResPrc.shtml

See example "gpm_1.ncl".

There were a few issues with your script.

[1] One thing that is important to note about GPM data is that it comes in
as "lon x lat", and in order to plot it with NCL, it needs to be reordered
to "lat x lon".

This is why it's so important to look at your data!  I added these four
lines to help give me a better idea of what your data looks like:

printVarSummary(gpmPre)
printMinMax(gpmPre,0)
print("Your data contains " + num(.not.ismissing(gpmPre)) + " valid
values.")
print("Your data contains " + num(ismissing(gpmPre))      + " missing
values.")

Note: there's a nice function called "stat_dispersion" that's also very
useful for printing statistics about your data:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/stat_dispersion.shtml

To reorder the data, you can use the "transpose" function or named
dimensions to reorder:

Using transpose:

  gpmPre = transpose(iFile->precipitationCal)

Using named dimensions:

  gpmPre = iFile->precipitationCal(lat|:,lon|:)

[2] The contours levels you were choosing were not ideal for this
particular dataset. I changed them to:

  res at cnLevelSelectionMode   = "ExplicitLevels"
  res at cnLevels               =
(/0.1,0.5,1,2.5,5,10,12,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50/)   ; "mm/hr"

[3] Your data is regional, so I zoomed in on it using the
mpMinLatF/mpMaxLatF/mpMinLonF/mpMaxLonF resources.

[4] I removed the string processing code for the date because it wasn't
working on the file you gave me.

Please see the attached modified script and PNG image.

--Mary