[ncl-talk] Defining directories

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Wed Oct 26 07:28:33 MDT 2016

Hi Barry,

Barry, in your case, the error is telling you exactly what the deal
is...left-hand-side and right-hand-side of the assignment are of
incompatible types.  Specifically, the call to addfiles() at line 54
returns a variable of type FileVariable. However, previously you had set
the type of the variable "filename" as a string, at around line 19. NCL is
strongly typed -- you don't have to declare the type of a variable in
advance, but once fixed (in both data-type and array shape), it sticks,
unless you do one of two things:  i) use the delete statement, ex:
delete(filename) in your case, or ii) use the reassignment operator ":=",
ex, filename := addfile(....)

Mohammad, you seemingly had two questions, the second of which I never
really understood (about looping over the lat/lon values).  For the first
one, regarding multiple directories, it looks like there's a missing "/"
between the directory pathname and the wrf filenames.   Also, I don't
believe addfiles takes a a wildcard pathname, but rather an array of
filenames that may be relative or absolute pathnames.  Dennis's script
shows how to do that, but NOTE, there may be missing a "/" between the
parent directory and the "runXXX" directories.  You'll want to look
carefully at the constructed filenames.

Hope that helps...
Rick