[ncl-talk] addfiles to join variables from two files

Juris Almonte Juris.Almonte at umanitoba.ca
Tue Oct 25 14:57:09 MDT 2016

Hi  NCL talk,

I have several hourly output files with variables such as TK, RH, etc. and one file with the coordinate/constant variables within them (e.g. XLAT, XLONG). I would like to join the constants variables file with the hourly output file.

I have tried using the addfiles function without success where only one hourly file

ncl 0> files = systemfunc("ls *.nc")
ncl 1> f = addfiles(files,"r")
ncl 2> ListSetType (f, "join")
ncl 3> xlat = f->XLAT
fatal:(f) not reference to a valid file
fatal:["Execute.c":8573]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 3

ncl 4> printVarSummary(f)

Variable: f
Type: list <join | fifo>
Total items: 2

ncl 5>

I know NCO can do this with the use of ncecat, however, I want the data to stay intact as individual hourly files.

Is there a way to do this in NCL?

Thanks in advance,

Juris
M.Sc. Student