[ncl-talk] Page Orientation with WRF Panel Plots

Holman, Kathleen kholman at usbr.gov
Tue Nov 29 11:34:55 MST 2016

Hi,

I am trying to produce a portrait, three-panel plot of terrain heights from
a nested WRF simulation.  When my workstation output type is set to x11,
the plots show up as a 3x1 column.  However, when I change the workstation
output type to pdf or ps, the plots are forced into landscape mode and some
of the images are cut off.  The plots come out as a 3x1 column that is
rotated clockwise 90 degrees.  I have tried setting the gsnPaperOrientation
option to "portrait" in four different setting locations with no success.
I receive no error messages when running the script, yet my settings are
not being realized.

Has anyone found a way to force WRF panel plots into a specific paper
orientation?

​----------
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl"

begin

; type = "x11"
 type = "pdf"
; type = "ps"
; type = "ncgm"
wks = gsn_open_wks(type,"panel_plot_geo_domains")     ; Create a plot
workstation

gsn_define_colormap(wks,"rainbow")
plot = new(3,graphic)

fdir = "/home/kholman/WRF/WPS3.7/"

res = True                              ; Create some plot resources
res at cnFillOn = True                      ; Create a color fill plot
res at cnLineLabelsOn = False
res at NoHeaderFooter = True
res at gsnSpreadColors = True
res at lbLabelBarOn = False
res at ContourParameters = (/0., 3500., 250./)
res at gsnPaperOrientation = "Portrait"

pltres = True
pltres at PanelPlot = True
pltres at gsnPaperOrientation = "Portrait"

mpres = True
mpres at mpGeophysicalLineColor      = "Black"  ; Overwrite basic map settings
mpres at mpGridLineColor             = "Gray"
mpres at mpLimbLineColor             = "Gray"
mpres at mpNationalLineColor         = "Black"
mpres at mpPerimLineColor            = "Black"
mpres at mpUSStateLineColor          = "Black"
mpres at gsnPaperOrientation = "Portrait"

do j = 1,3
a = addfile(fdir+"geo_em.d0"+j+".nc","r")   ; Open a file

ter = a->HGT_M(0,:,:)                    ; Read the variable to memory
contour = wrf_contour(a,wks,ter,res)

plot(j-1) = wrf_map_overlays(a,wks,(/contour/),pltres,mpres)          ;
Create plot
delete([/ter/])
end do

pnlres                            = True
pnlres at txString                   = ""
pnlres at gsnPanelYWhiteSpacePercent = 5       ; Add white space b/w plots.
pnlres at gsnPanelLabelBar           = True    ; Turn on common labelbar
pnlres at lbLabelAutoStride          = True    ; Spacing of lbar labels.
pnlres at lbBoxMinorExtentF          = 0.15
pnlres at gsnPaperOrientation = "Portrait"

gsn_panel(wks,(/plot/),(/3,1/),pnlres)

end

--
Katie Holman, PhD