[ncl-talk] need help to edit maps to exclude color on the ocean and contour values on land points

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 29 10:37:35 MST 2016

Sorry for the delay. I was out of the office last week.

I assume you are talking about the contour line labels.  Try setting:

res at cnLineLabelsOn = False

I suggest that you visit our examples page at:

http://test.www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/

You will see lots of topics on this page, like "contour labels" and
"contour effects".  If you click on any one of the topics, you will see a
page with a list of examples, each with a sample NCL script and graphic.
This is one of the best ways to learn about the various graphical resources
in NCL and how to set them.

Good luck,

--Mary

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Ruksana Abedin <ruksana.abedin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Mary,
>
> Thank you very much for pointing at the issue and the fix for it. Now, the
> plot could be corrected with no color on the ocean points.
>
> But what about excluding the data values on the contours randomly on the
> land points? How can I disable this option? I have not set any resource for
> this, it is done somehow automatically. Please can you help me to avoid
> these values on the maps?
>
> Best regards,
> Ruksana
>

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 12:37 PM, Mary Haley <haley at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Ruksana,
>>
>> It is very important that you look at your data before you assume that
>> NCL is plotting it incorrectly.
>>
>> If you look at "ppt3" with printVarSummary and printMinMax, you will see
>> that your missing values are not set correctly.
>>
>> Here's the printVarSummary, which claims the missing value is -99.9:
>>
>> Variable: ppt3
>> Type: float
>> Total Size: 3480 bytes
>>             870 values
>> Number of Dimensions: 3
>> Dimensions and sizes: [time | 1] x [lat | 30] x [lon | 29]
>> Coordinates:
>>             time: [14400..14400]
>>             lat: [15.25..29.75]
>>             lon: [  83..  97]
>> Number Of Attributes: 5
>>   long_name : daily precipitation analysis interpolated onto 0.5deg
>> grids [mm/day]
>>   units : mm/day
>>   _FillValue : -99.9
>>   missing_value : -99.9
>>   level_description : Earth surface
>>
>> However, if you do a printMinMax on pp3, you will see a maximum value of
>> 1e+20, which seems suspicious:
>>
>> daily precipitation analysis interpolated onto 0.5deg grids [mm/day]
>> (mm/day) : min=-2497.37   max=1e+20
>>
>> My guess is that you need to set the missing value of ppt3 to 1e20:
>>
>> ppt3 at _FillValue = 1e20
>>
>> --Mary
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Ruksana Abedin <ruksana.abedin at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have plotted a panel of two bias maps. The plot, input files and the
>>> script is attached. Problem is although my data is only on land points, on
>>> the first bias map, the ocean is colored as orange, which should not be the
>>> case. And the maps show few values of the contours on the land points
>>> irregularly, but I do not want any values to be shown. Can you please help
>>> me to do these two corections?
>>>
>>> Thank you for your time and kind efforts.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Ruksana
>>>

>>> begin
>>>
>>> ; read in data
>>>
>>> f3=addfile(".........../WAH_APHRO_1998_2007_ANN_sum_precip_bias.nc",
>>> "r");
>>> f4=addfile(".........../WAH_GPCC_1998_2007_ANN_sum_precip_bias.nc",
>>> "r");
>>>
>>> ppt3 = f3->precip
>>> time = f3->time
>>> lat = f3->lat