[ncl-talk] A simple plot question (sort of)

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 28 10:52:10 MST 2016

Hi Barry,

If  plots are not displaying properly after they are overlaid on another,
usually the first thing I suspect is that the two plots are not in the same
data space.

But first, is this data rectilinear? The reason I ask is that I see you are
reading lat/lon off the file, but they are not used in the plotting.  If
you're not sure what I mean by rectilinear, please see the description at
the top of this page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/plot_data_on_map.shtml

Then, scroll down to the first example, which explains how to tell if your
data is rectilinear or not.

Your filled contours over the map are roughly in the range 10 to 60 lat,
and -150 to -55 lon.  You didn't include the plot of the 700 mb contours,
but I would look at the X/Y axis of the plot of this data to see what range
it's in.  Also, if you look at your data with:

printVarSummary(pett_fgen)
printVarSummary(z_plane)

this should provide information about coordinate arrays and their ranges,
*if you have rectilinear data* This is another way to double-check that the
two datasets are in the same data space.

If you continue to have problems, can you email ncl-talk with the output
results from the two printVarSummary statements, and also include the plot
of z_plane?