[ncl-talk] Help: How to convert the British National Grid (BNG) into the normal latitude and longitude?

Xiaofeng Li Xiaofeng.Li at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 06:24:01 MST 2016

Dear  Dave,
         Thanks very much for the information. It is helpful. I’ll try to search the published lat&lon coordinates.
         Have a nice day!
Best Regards,
Xiao
On 16 Nov 2016, at 19:16, Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <dave.allured at noaa.gov<mailto:dave.allured at noaa.gov>> wrote:

Xiaofeng Li,

You have BNG coordinates on an even 1-Km grid.  I do not know of any internal NCL solution.

The best solution is to find published latitude and longitude coordinates for the BNG 1-Km grid from an official source.  These should be in the form of 2-D equivalent arrays or tables, lats(x,y) and lons(x,y).  NCL can read 2-D equivalent arrays in many different formats, so the exact format is not important.  And of course, you can easily take a subset out of a larger reference grid, or a higher resolution grid.

You will need to find these published coordinates for yourself.  I am not sure whether the 1-Km coordinates are published, but there is an excellent chance that they are out there somewhere.  There is also published software that can generate the coordinates for you, but that is more difficult than just finding and downloading the 1-km grid coordinates from an official source.

When you have lats(x,y) and lons(x,y), you can read them into NCL and use them to geolocate your BNG data grids for plotting and other applications.  HTH.

--Dave