[ncl-talk] About calculating divergence in WRF

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 7 08:44:41 MST 2016

I am not sure about "mositure divergence" on WRF grids. To my knowledge,
there is no NCL function to compute divergence on some arbitrary WRF grid.
As noted by Evelyn Grell in her comments about vorticity, the function
would have to make use of map factors.

The example you refer to interpolates the u,v components on a WRF
(curvilinear) grid to a rectilinear grid of approximately the same
resolution. The divergence is calculated on the rectilinear grid using
uv2dv_cfd and the reinterpolated back to the WRF grid. As noted in the
previous response, this approach is likely adequate for graphical purposes.
However, the correct way is to calculate the divergence on the original
grid.

The following is an example

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml
Example 29