[ncl-talk] attached zonal plot

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 2 21:55:59 MDT 2016

Hi Jonathan,

The gsn_csm_attach_zonal_means_plot is really meant for just one zonal
means, and doesn't have any hooks for extra lines.

There's unadvertised function called gsn_csm_zonal_means which is called by
the gsn_csm_attach_zonal_means plot. It basically creates the XY zonal
means plot under the hood and returns it. The
gsn_csm_attach_zonal_means function calls this function and then attaches
the zonal plot to the right of an existing map plot.

Using gsn_csm_zonal_means, I created the two zonal means plots myself, used
"overlay" to overlay them into one plot, and then attached the overlaid XY
plots myself using gsn_add_annotation.

See the attached zonal.ncl example and resultant PNG image.  I didn't have
time to find a dataset that would produce a more interesting zonal plot, so
I just used a standard one that you can download from:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Data/cdf/ts_Amon_CESM1-CAM5_historical_r1i1p1_185001-200512.nc

You will likely want to modify the "attach_zonal_plots_to_map_plot"
function in this script to customize how you want the zonal means plots to
appear, for example, what color to use for the XY lines, how wide to make
the plot, what X/Y axes min/max values you want, etc.

--Mary