[ncl-talk] sub: EOF_ts

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Fri May 27 16:40:31 MDT 2016

Hello,
Please do not post the same question multiple times to the email list. If
your question goes unanswered it likely means that no-one on ncl-talk knows
the answer to the question you posed.

Again, the output from eofunc_ts (principle component timeseries) is of the
units of the original field. Thus, if you pass air temperature in degrees C
into eofunc and then pass the output (normalized EOFs) to eofunc_ts the
output principal component (PC) timeseries will be in units of degrees C,
while the output EOFs from eofunc will be unitless. Note that the range of
PC values will likely not match the range of values of your original input
air temperature. You can multiply the principal component timeseries by the
EOFs to get the pattern for that particular PC value in the original units.

I cannot comment on why eof_5 is normalizing the PC by dividing by the sum
of the areal weights. Perhaps someone else can do so.

The normalizing of the PC that I spoke about in my previous email is shown
in example #4 here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/eof_4.ncl

Hope that helps. If not, as always please respond to the ncl-talk email
list.
Adam

--
Adam Phillips