[ncl-talk] wrf output - temperature gradient - non-monotonic lat/lon

Brandon Fisel bjfisel at gmail.com
Thu May 26 13:43:47 MDT 2016

Hello,

The WRF data I have is for a polar stereographic projection, with latitudes
and longitudes that are not monotonic. Printing out the lat2d(:,0), I
receive latitudes from 40N to 62N then decreasing again to 50N; and
longitudes (lon2d(0,:)) from 180 to -180. The latitudes and longitudes are
also not equally spaced.

According to the center_finite_diff_n, the latitudes and longitudes must
both be monotonic, and according to the grad_latlon_cfd the longitudes must
be monotonic. However, using both of these functions to compute the WRF
temperature gradients, no errors about not being monotonic are printed to
the terminal. There are small differences between the results from both
functions (center_finite_diff_n meridional mean is 0.04; grad_latlon_cfd
meridional mean is -0.02).

The question I have is whether this is fair to use these functions for
computing the temperature gradient for non-monotonic data. If not, how else
could I go about computing the temperature gradient for WRF data on a polar
stereographic projection?

I appreciate any help. Cheers,
--
Brandon J Fisel
Iowa State University

Doctoral Research Assistant
bjfisel at iastate.edu
Tel:219.242.1466
Fax:515.294.6049

"Climate is what we expect; weather is what we get." -Mark Twain