[ncl-talk] documentation update for wrf_user_vert_interp

Jared Lee jaredlee at ucar.edu
Fri May 13 17:13:37 MDT 2016

Hi, I just started using the function wrf_user_vert_interp in one of my
codes, and I came across an error message:

fatal:wrf_vintrp: The pres and field arrays must have the same
dimensionality
fatal:["Execute.c":8575]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 2886 in
file $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl

Eventually I figured out that it was because the "field" variable that I
was passing in didn't have the time dimension. I originally read in the
original field (from a file with only one output time) and called the
interp with these calls:

TEMP_C = wrf_user_getvar(wrf_file, "tc", 0)
TEMP_C_interp = wrf_user_vert_interp(wrf_file, TEMP_C, vert_coord,
interp_levels, interp_opts)

But then when I got my temperature variable with the time dimension added
(replacing the 0 with a -1), wrf_user_vert_interp worked successfully:

TEMP_C = wrf_user_getvar(wrf_file, "tc", -1)

In the function wrf_user_vert_interp, when the pressure variable is read
in, it has the time dimension. Therefore, I think the NCL documentation
page for wrf_user_vert_interp, which currently reads:

"The field variable to be interpolated. This must be a 3D array dimensioned
bottom_top x south_north x west_east, or a 4D array dimensioned time x
bottom_top x south_north x west_east."

should be changed to reflect that the function won't work if the field
variable is only 3D. The field variable *must* be a 4D array dimensioned
time x bottom_top x south_north x west_east. Either that, or the function
wrf_vintrp should be updated to allow for "field" variables that don't have
a time dimension.

Thanks,
Jared

--